[avr-chat] safemode and -V result in odd warnings/errors about fuses wit

From: Britton Kerin
Subject: [avr-chat] safemode and -V result in odd warnings/errors about fuses without -u
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 13:32:18 -0800

I often use -V to speed up edit-compile-debug.  This always results in
a message like this:

     avrdude: safemode: Verify error - unable to read efuse properly.
Programmer may
not be reliable.

Almost always the next line after this is:

    avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (E:FD, H:DA, L:FF)

This seems inconsistent, since avrdude just claimed it couldn't verify
the fuses.  Every once in a while there is instead a prompt saying
fuses changed, should change back y/n or something about like that.  I
wonder if something isn't being initialized right, and ends up with -V
(without -u) sometimes triggering this?

Adding -u as well of course stops the warning by disabling safe mode.
I guess what's going on here is -V causes the fuses to not be read
back out.  If this is indeed the case, I'd say the warning is pretty
misleading and should be changed, probably to suggest -u as well.  And
the next line about fuses being OK is totally wrong.

I guess -V could still read back the fuses if safe mode is not
disabled, as that's pretty fast.  But maybe it's sort of weird.  I
think I like best the current behavior (assuming I'm right about it)
but with a better message (and not the initialization problem,
assuming I'm right about that).

Britton