Re: [avr-chat] ATmega644 : dual USART... or not dual usart.. that, is th

From: Robert L Cochran
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] ATmega644 : dual USART... or not dual usart.. that, is the question !
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 19:11:47 -0500

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Fri,  6 Feb 2009 06:13:00 +0100 (MET)
> address@hidden (Joerg Wunsch) wrote:
>

>> Careful: that's /not/ called ATmega1284 but ATmega1284P.  You should
>> have learned now that these letters might make a difference...
>>

> Oops sorry, yes I meant 'P ;-)
>

>> Curious, why are you limited to DIP packages?  I find them
>> unpractically large.
>>

> That's why :
>
> http://freudhoefer.de/File_Share/Vince/PICT0002.JPG
>
> It's a hobby/amateur project, so I use a prototype board to develop the
> hardware, so I am limited to through-hole technology, meaning DIP
> packages for everything. I don't have the soldering equipment for
> surface mount components, and with my big fat fingers I probably
> wouldn't be succesful with it anyhow ! ;-/

Well, why not just give surface mount parts a try? I have clumsy
trembling 50 year old fingers, and still I seem able to succeed with
surface mount parts. They can be a really efficient use of your euros
and give you great freedom with your projects because you can put
surface mount parts on both sides of the circuit board. I use a Hakko
936 soldering station with small tips suitable for surface mount parts.
In general it has worked well. I haven't yet converted a toaster oven to
do reflow, but it is not that expensive and I must give it a try.

Yes I do fumble my parts and lose them. I buy at least a few spares
because I know I will send that resistor or other chip on the floor. I
look for the part briefly and if I can't find it I try again with the
spare. That usually works.

I brilliantly light up my work area. I admit I sometimes wonder if my 50
year old, nearsighted eyes can see some pins well enough to solder them.
I use a 5 diopter, lighted magnifier to help things along.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA