Programmer for everyone! (was: Re: [avr-chat] Programmer configuration)

From: Clemens Koller
Subject: Programmer for everyone! (was: Re: [avr-chat] Programmer configuration)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:41:03 +0200

Hello!

I'm just wondering... I just soldered myself the programming board
described under
http://www.bsdhome.com/avrdude/

Well, it seems that everyone builds his own programmer and starts to
struggle again with wiring, configuration of programming software etc. pp.

What do you think? Does it make sense to make something like an
"Open Source" programmer where the Software, Schematics, Layout, Gerbers, ...
are available and even the PCBs and components can be
- Manufactured in higher volume and distributed for a fair price.
- Manufactured in low volume at your pcb house of choice if you want
to do it on your own.
- Modified if you want to integrate it onto your own systems...

I would like to have some open replacement like a AVRISP mkII.
The programmer should include the ability to work as a general
JTAG interface, as a RS232 programmer (for the serial programmable devices)
and also include the debugwire stuff and work with the current
toolchains and program as many devices as possible.
Maybe a combination of a uCtrl and a small FPGA.

We have all the tools in house... I thought about starting something
like that as a private thing if it makes sense to do so.

Comments are welcome.
--
Clemens Koller