Re: [avr-chat] Re:C++ maintainer

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Re:C++ maintainer
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:32:16 +0200 (MET DST)

"Steve Franks" <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, I'm crazy enough to try, but wouldn't even know where to get
> started (beyone downloading the gcc source and attempting to build).

That's obviously the first step.  Well, the first step is certainly to
get a bit insight into the SVN (subversion, GNU's version management)
system GCC uses for its repository.  It's command-line lookalike to
CVS, but a few things are handled differently.

> Is there a "roadmap for g++ maintainers" located anywhere?

I don't think one exists.

> A doxy file, a map of the basic structure of the source, anything
> like that?

There is indeed some text file explaining the rought structure of the
GCC tree, and there's a GCC internals texinfo documentation.  Or was
the tree description inside the texinfo?  I can't remember exactly.

Anyway, all the C++ frontend stuff is in a directory named "cp" inside
the GCC tree.  The directory is about 6 MB in size (without the SVN
admin stuff, which adds another 6 MB), where almost 3 MB out of it
belong to the various ChangeLog* files.  The total line count of the
implementation files is about 100K.