Re: [avr-chat] sorry

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] sorry
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:32:58 +0200 (MET DST)

"Steve Franks" <address@hidden> wrote:

> So each one of these things chews up 100 bytes even in my not too
> big ram.  Thoughts on what I could be doing to confuse the compiler?

Hard to say without looking at the generated assembly.  C++ can
sometimes be really tricky in embedded environments, a forgotten & can
be fatal, likewise I could imagine some constructor not explicitly
specified (default constructor, copy constructor?) might cause the
compiler to setup something on your behalf which you don't necessarily
like the way it does.

Are you using true OO (late binding)?  Then it might be the vtables.
So far, we don't have a C++ maintainer for GCC/avr-libc, and thus
nobody ever bothered to teach GCC to place them into flash ROM rather
than RAM.