Re: [avr-chat] Serial Numbers with avrdude (or other?)

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Serial Numbers with avrdude (or other?)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:19:21 -0500

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 04:36:32PM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > The -U option might work without having to generate a hex or srec
> > file for each and every serial number, but in the "m" immediate mode
> > I don't see any means of specifying an address?
>
> I recently came across that myself, it might be a worthwhile addition
> to add.  The only question would be how to specify it in a
> backwards-compatible way (i.e. if no address is present, use address
> 0).
>
> Would it make sense to use
>
> .... -U ee:w:0x42#1,2,3,4:m

How about leaving -U alone and adding another option letter? At first
thought "one plus -U" for a modification of -U but -V is taken. So maybe
-M for Memory and specific iMmediate data?

Borrow from the three-colon parser used for -U but
memtype:action:addr:data. Always immediate data because its -M. Might be
useful to spell out an address with srec or hex files to be used as an
offset, but that starts complicating things and I think I'd rather -M
always be pure immediate data.

Another compication is if the target is flash how is auto-erase for
flash is handled. -U automatically erases unless -D is specified. Think
-M should never auto-erase, but a caution is needed in the manpage that
options are executed from left to right on the command line. Else the
command parser must be smart enough to postpone -M until after all -e
and -U options.

-m and -M are not listed in the manpage summary but a search turns up
-m, possibly as an artifact prior to the recent -U addition?

> > Also in the manpage I see "memtype" is often used, defined as "The
> > memtype field specifies the memory type to operate on." But its
> > valid values are never enumerated.
>
> As Vincent already wrote, that's because they are chip-dependent, and
> dynamically obtained from the configuration file for each chip in
> question.  Anyway, there's already a bug report open that requests the
> documentation to at least list all known memory types.

Don't have things connected here to test but can one list the available
memtypes from within terminal mode? If so then a mention of that in the
manpage may be all that is needed.

My brief attempt just now to find a dummy mode to run avrdude w/o
hardware failed.

Off topic, this message is addressed to the nongnu.org list and direct
to Joerg. Would you please review my headers and guess as to why nongnu
silently drops my email from this source? FreeBSD 5.4. Postfix. Mutt.
MacOS X's Mail.app works fine routed from behind the FreeBSD machine but
delivers direct to smtp.knology.net. Postfix is also delivering direct
to smtp.knology.net for relay.

My only change to Postfix has been to add the above relayhost. Am
tempted to try setting myorigin to "knology.net" but do not want the
HiWAAY.net address altered.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden