Re: man_MANS install locations

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Re: man_MANS install locations
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 10:32:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday 2022-08-31 23:20, Karl Berry wrote:

>    Should the rpmlint check be adjusted to cater to the GNU FHS?
>
>[..]
>Also, GNU (as an organization) never had anything to do with the FHS,

I just called it GNU FHS to distinguish it from the LF/LSB FHS. Autotools
for example defaults to

        libexecdir = ${prefix}/libexec
        sharedstatedir = ${prefix}/com

and the LSB FHS (or its interpretations in distros) used or do use

        libexecdir = /usr/lib  (old FHS 2.3)
        sharedstatedir = /var/lib

So there must have been some plan within GNU project(s) when directory
locations were chosen, manpage dirs included :^)