Re: BUILT_SOURCES called on `make dist` even if the built sources should

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: BUILT_SOURCES called on `make dist` even if the built sources should not be included in the dist
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 12:11:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019, Jerry Lundström wrote:

I can't really see how this change got approved, isn't the point of
BUILT_SOURCES to be sources built when building!?  Including them into
distributions seems wrong.

I see considerable documentation regarding BUILT_SOURCES at "https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Sources.html";

It seems that there is a chicken and egg issue that BUILT_SOURCES is designed to solve.

"The BUILT_SOURCES variable is a workaround for this problem. A source file listed in BUILT_SOURCES is made on ‘make all’ or ‘make check’ (or even ‘make install’) before other targets are processed. However, such a source file is not compiled unless explicitly requested by mentioning it in some other _SOURCES variable."

Unfortunately, I think that it the BUILT_SOURCES requirement which makes my non-recursive build still a bit recursive.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt