Re: converting to subdir-objects

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: converting to subdir-objects
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 18:51:01 +0000

Bob Friesenhahn writes:
> I checked the current Automake manual and am not able to find any text
> which says that a subdirectory needs to be a subdirectory of where the
> Makefile resides.  What is a subdirectory anyway?  The generated
> Makefile would include per-source-file target specifications outside
> of the directory where the Makefile resides.
>
> Perhaps the ability to use this successfully depends on the
> implementation of the VPATH and target resolution support in the make
> program (and possibly make program version) that your project is
> specifically targeting.
>
> I can not imagine 'make dist' or 'make distcheck' working properly if
> source files are not subordinate to the directory containing Makefile.
> How is 'tar' supposed to work?
>
> Harlan's posting here was due to Automake not working as he expected
> for files which are not in a subdirectory so maybe it does not work.

'make dist' and 'make distcheck' have been working fine for a Very Long
Time in this project.

In my attempt to get subdir-objects working NTP, I added
"subdir-objects" to the list of options in the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE line in
its configure.ac file.  I figured I'd add that option, run autoreconf,
'make', and see what happened.

What happened was I got errors with the .deps stuff, and while I was
expecting to have to make some changes to the Makefile.am files, this
was not an issue I was expecting to see.