Re: Ability to display verbose

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Ability to display verbose
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:47:44 +0200

On 06/26/2013 06:39 PM, James Hunt wrote:
> I'm struggling to coerce automake 1.13 to produce a verbose build log as used
> be possible with previous releases.
>
> check.am in automake-1.13 still contains:
>
>       test x"$$VERBOSE" = x || cat $(TEST_SUITE_LOG);"
>
> ... but I cannot seem to force VERBOSE to work as it used to.

That's because, starting from Automake 1.13, the parallel testsuite harness
has been made the default one; this harness is quite silent, and even with
VERBOSE=yes, it only displays the logs of the non-passed tests (i.e., only
of the failed or skipped ones, or of the ones that passed unexpectedly).
Until Automake 1.12, the older (and more verbose) serial harness was the
default, so -- among other differences -- the output used to be more verbose.

If you want to retain the use of the old serial harness in your project, you
have to use the 'serial-tests' option (recognized by automake 1.12, 1.13 and
the most recent 1.14, but unfortunately *not* buy automake 1.11).

> I've reported this bug in Debian with more details:
>
>       http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=710955
>
> Kind regards,
>
> James.

HTH,