Re: on Windows, BUILT_SOURCES does not append .exe

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: on Windows, BUILT_SOURCES does not append .exe
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:14:23 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Hello Vincent,

* Vincent Torri wrote on Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 10:51:53PM CET:
noinst_PROGRAMS = cmapdump fontdump
BUILT_SOURCES = cmapdump fontdump

With MSYS, noinst_PROGRAMS is set to

cmapdump$(EXEEXT) fontdump$(EXEEXT)

but BUILT_SOURCES is set to

cmapdump fontdump

Is it normal that BUILT_SOURCES does not try to see if they are
binaries in some variables ?

I don't think we've come across an example where it was necessary to put
compiled programs into BUILT_SOURCES.  For one, that would mean that
cross compilation will not work.  For another: can you please explain
what you are trying to achieve?  I'm sure there is another way.

I am building a library that is using mupdf. I have autotooled mupdf for my personal project. mupdf is splitted into several libraries:

libfitz libdraw libcmaps libfonts libmupdf

libcmaps source files are generated by a binary named cmapdump.

So I have something like:

noinst_PROGRAMS = cmapdump
cmapdump_SOURCES = mupdf-0.7/mupdf/cmapdump.c

noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libfitz.la libdraw.la libcmaps.la libfonts.la libmupdf.la

cmap_tounicode_files = \
mupdf-0.7/cmaps/Adobe-CNS1-UCS2 \
mupdf-0.7/cmaps/Adobe-GB1-UCS2 \
mupdf-0.7/cmaps/Adobe-Japan1-UCS2 \
mupdf-0.7/cmaps/Adobe-Korea1-UCS2

libcmaps_la_SOURCES = cmap_tounicode.c
cmap_tounicode.c: cmapdump $(cmap_tounicode_files)
        ./cmapdump $@ $(cmap_tounicode_files)

If I don't use BUILT_SOURCES, cmapdump binary is not built before libcmaps, hence cmap_tounicode.c is not created, and compilation of libcmaps fails.

Is there another solution ?

Other than that, you're right: automatic $(EXEEXT) appending is not done
for BUILT_SOURCES.

ok.

thank you

Vincent Torri