Augment instead of replace maude_DEPENDENCIES

From: Daily, Jeff A
Subject: Augment instead of replace maude_DEPENDENCIES
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:00:01 -0800

Some of my test programs require generated input files - perhaps one per test
program.  I want to generate them as dependencies of the particular test
programs which use them.  However, I don't want to replace the dependencies
which automake already determines for my test programs.  maude_DEPENDENCIES
appears to be the correct way to go, but if I replace what automake generates
automatically, then I have to recreate what automake would have done for me.

check_PROGRAMS = tests/FillValue
tests_FillValue_SOURCES = tests/FillValue.C
tests_FillValue_DEPENDENCIES = data/FillValue.nc libpagoda.la
.cdl.nc:
        $(NCGEN) -o $@ $<
EXTRA_DIST = data/FillValue.cdl
CLEANFILES = data/FillValue.nc

Alternatively, I could generate all input files as part of some other target or
dependency.  I considered the check-local target, but since there's no
guarantee on the order of check-local versus check, I can't guarantee that the
input files are generated prior to my tests executing.  I could then use
BUILT_SOURCES, but I don't want the test input files generated unless they are
truly needed.

Is my only recourse to replace maude_DEPENDENCIES?  It would be nice to augment
what automake provides rather than replace it.

Jeff