Copy files in VPATH build

From: Jason Curl
Subject: Copy files in VPATH build
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:17:17 +0200

Hello,

When building my package with "./configure" everything works well as some datafiles that are required for tests are in the correct place (my tests don't need to be installed with "make install"). However, when I use VPATH builds with "../configure", I don't know how to get my data files copied from the source to the current build path.

I've just read up on VPATH, and I think gmake is assuming, that while the datafiles are in the source, the dependencies are satisfied, even though they aren't in the build directory.

The following rules don't work:
test.ini: @srcdir@/test.ini
  cp $< $@

./test.ini: @srcdir@/test.ini
  cp $< $@

But the rule:
test2.ini: @srcdir@/test.ini
  cp $< $@

does work, but I don't need to rename the file in the copy, and when not using VPATH, it just performs a useless copy.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jason.