distcheck ignores conditionals

From: Daily, Jeff A
Subject: distcheck ignores conditionals
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:07:55 -0700

I should note first there was a similar question sent to the list, but the
solution doesn't work for me since my case is slightly different.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2010-03/msg00059.html

I have an assembly file which is generated from a C file.  The C file uses GCC
inline assembly, but not all compilers understand that.  When a compiler is
detected which doesn't handle GCC inline assembly, we search for a gcc which
can generate the assembly from the C source.  Then the generated assembly can
be compiled by the original, non-GCC compiler.  But we only need the assembly
at all if we have an x86 CPU.  Here's my Makefile.am snippet (I've added
comments to hopefully make it more clear):

if INLINE_X86COPY_NEEDED # x86 cpu among other specific conditions
if INLINE_X86COPY_OKAY # $(CC) handled GCC inline assembly okay
libarmci_la_SOURCES += src/x86copy.c
else
if INLINE_X86COPY_WITH # help from gcc
BUILT_SOURCES += src/x86copy_as.s
libarmci_la_SOURCES += src/x86copy_as.s
endif
endif
endif

src/x86copy_as.s: src/x86copy.c
        $(ARMCI_X86COPY_AS) $(DEFS) $(DEFAULT_INCLUDES) $(INCLUDES) \
        $(AM_CPPFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) -S $(MAYBE_PIC) -o $@ $<

I originally had the above rule inside the INLINE_X86COPY_NEEDED conditional,
which worked during the build but caused distcheck to complain about the
missing rule.  After I moved it, as seen above, distcheck will always attempt
to create the assembly file regardless of the conditionals used.   The assembly
file is not part of the distribution since it is created during the build.

Am I doing something wrong?

Jeff