Re: Automake and Texinfo: clean the info or pdf file

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: Automake and Texinfo: clean the info or pdf file
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:46:32 +0200

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> * YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote on Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 05:41:40PM CEST:
>> I work on a project which use automake and include a
>> documentation in Texinfo format.
>>
>> If I call :
>> $ make
>> The .info file is built.
>
> In the source tree (right?).
> And it will be distributed (with 'make dist').

make default target /creates/ files in the source directory?
But isn't this wrong and verified by making srcdir read-only in
`make distcheck'? Thought it would only /update/ and only in
`maintainer cases' (such as changed configure.ac).

Documentation states `In fact VPATH builds are also a means of
building packages from a read-only medium such as a CD-ROM'
(but surely meant from a src tarball where the .info will would
be included and up-to-date anyway).

Wouldn't this break things (e.g. in VPATH leading to a .info in
src and builddir?)?

Steffen