Re: Building prog first

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: Building prog first
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:34:54 +0000

2010/3/22 Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden>:
> If searching is the problem

*Web* searching is the answer, not the problem.

> how does the indices not fix the problem?

I rarely find anything useful in the indices other than particular
functions or variables. Rarely, in GNU manuals, concepts, but that is
because they do not, on the whole, have good general indices.

> What about using a info browser to search through the manual?

I often do that. The trouble is that often what I want to know has to
be deduced from the manual, which is natural enough, because the
manual tends to be structured according to the structure of the
program it documents, rather than of the problems the user is trying
to solve. By using web searches I can often find people asking and
answering precisely the problem I'm trying to solve.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org