Re: Public header files

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Public header files
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 11:53:52 -0800

John Calcote <address@hidden> writes:

> While I agree that standards should be followed, I find this one
> distasteful. I mean, "long long"? Is that supposed to be someone's idea
> of a scalable solution? What happens when we have 128-bit systems? Dare
> I venture: "long long long"? And please don't say we'll never have
> 128-bit systems. We've been down that road before; we know where it
> leads.

Usually by the time one gets to the point of standardizing something, it's
both too late to fix the aesthetics and aesthetics are the least of
anyone's concerns.  A lot of things that make it into standards are
widespread existing practice before then, and it's too much work to change
them.

I suspect this is part of why, as you point out, the standard also
introduces int<size>_t at the same time, but "long long" is more widely
supported, probably because it's older than the standard.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>