Re: Problem of: variable `main_SOURCES' is defined but no program or lib

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problem of: variable `main_SOURCES' is defined but no program or library has `main' as canonical name (possible typo)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:53:06 +0100

Hello Bill,

* Mi Yang (杨觅) wrote on Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 03:34:26PM CET:
> I met a strange problem when "automake -a":
>
> core/Makefile.am:3: variable `main_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
> core/Makefile.am:3: library has `main' as canonical name (possible typo)

Well, it is meant as a help for typos.  You define the variable
main_SOURCES, which usually means that the program named 'main' is to
be compiled from the source files listed in that variable.  For the
program to be registered as such, add it to bin_PROGRAMS, or
noinst_PROGRAMS or similar, e.g.,
  bin_PROGRAMS = main

If that doesn't help you, then it would be good if you showed us your
core/Makefile.am so we could help better.

Cheers,
Ralf