Distributed files: licenses

From: NightStrike
Subject: Distributed files: licenses
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:18:07 -0500

Right now, we distribute license files in the source archives by
adding them to the EXTRA_DIST variable.

We do not, however, include the license files in tarballs that we make
and distribute of the BINARY archives.  I know automake has a lot
ofrules and stuff detailing how to build and package source archives,
but I don't see much convention on doing so with binary archives.

Right now, our project (http://mingw-w64.sf.net/) builds and
distributes complete GCC toolchains using our header set and crt.
This includes, of course, building and distributing our own project as
a part of it all.  Should we include license files with that?  We have
received this feature request:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=983357&aid=2944821&group_id=202880

What is the convention held by the typical project out there?  I know
nothing about licenses, nor how to actually handle them.  All insight
is greatly appreciated.