Re: dynamic selection of linker

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dynamic selection of linker
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:13:33 +0100

Hello Jeff,

* Daily, Jeff A wrote on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 06:53:05PM CET:
> The  documented automake behavior states that automake chooses the
> linker based on a static list of source files.  This is not
> sufficient.  I'm hoping I've missed a detail somewhere, but my
> experience backs up the documented claims.  I've tried using
> AM_CONDITIONALs like so:
>
> if NOFORT
> else
> MAYBE_DUMMY_F_LINK = dummy.f # does not exist
> endif
>
> lib_LTLIBRARIES = libtest.la
> libtest_la_SOURCES = # no sources, all convenience libraries
> nodist_EXTRA_libtest_la_SOURCES = $(MAYBE_DUMMY_F_LINK)
> libtest_la_LIBADD = mixed/libmixed.la pure_c/libpurec.la
>
> But regardless of whether NOFORT is true, the Fortran linker is always
> chosen.  What should I be doing?  Thanks.

Override FCLD (if Makefile-global is acceptable) or libtest_la_LINK.

I've been wanting to let automake choose the linker based on the set of
source files known at config.status time too, but I don't currently see
how to do this without breaking backward compatibility (or introducing
another automake option).  The current behavior is used as a feature by
several packages.

Cheers,
Ralf