Re: Fwd: Making only some targets on cross-compilation

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Fwd: Making only some targets on cross-compilation
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 00:08:31 +0200

Hello Philip,

* Philip A. Prindeville wrote on Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:23:06AM CEST:
> Sent this email out, but then didn't hear back... it struck me that it's
> not an ALSA bug so much as an automake bug.
>
> The problem is simple: normally, targets like "all" use the
> "all-recursive" indirect target (or "install" and "install-recursive",
> etc), which then looks like:
[...]
> so the problem is this. If you don't want to patch the Makefile,
> Makefile.in, or Makefile.am, but want to only build or install a subset
> of directories (say for instance your building binary only targets for a
> cross-compiled system), then the "include", "doc", and "test" targets
> are useless.

The most common way to address this would be to let the developer add
logic to the Makefile.am to not build these directories, when the user
(you) enabled some switch, which could be seeded by the cross compiling
state.

That said, however,

> So you try to build as:
>
> make all ... SUBDIRS='src utils'

if you're desperate to have it in a command line, you can also
just override SUBDIRS in your own little additional makefile:
  echo "SUBDIRS = src utils" | make -f Makefile -f -

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf