Re: AM_COND_IF

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AM_COND_IF
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 11:34:07 +0100

Hello Matěj,

* Matěj Týč wrote on Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 09:34:36PM CET:
> > Grepping in the automake tree reveals m4/cond-if.m4. The file should
> > have been installed into /usr/share/aclocal-1.10.2 (+/- prefix).
> Thank you for pointing out! I have just /usr/share/aclocal-1.10
> directory, although aclocal claims that it is aclocal (GNU automake)
> 1.10.2
> The AM_COND_IF macro is not there, of course.
> Is this the distribution bug or has the release itself been wrong? I bet
> that not many people would notice since this macro is not widely used...

There was a merge error when porting some patch from master back to
branch-1-10.  This caused some changes to the manual to be put in the
branch which shouldn't have been there.  These changes have slipped
into 1.10.2, unfortunately.  It has been fixed since, but I haven't had
time to release 1.10.3 yet.

Sorry about the inconvenience.  git master contains AM_COND_IF only,
it is very new (and serve rather special needs only).  I.e., if all
you need is to evaluate some conditional inside configure.ac, then
you can simply repeat its expression:

AM_CONDITIONAL([COND], [test "$foo" = bar])
if test "$foo" = bar; then
fi

Only if the second ellipsis in above code is to contain something like
  AC_CONFIG_FILES([conditional-file])

then will you have to use AM_COND_IF.  For other cases it is merely
syntactic sugar.

Cheers,
Ralf