Re: GNU Make Extensions

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: GNU Make Extensions
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:38:58 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

I didn't really trust += in my own Automake makefiles since it was not really
clear to me in what order the appending would occur

Would it matter? Except for use of := (which I think is non-portable
too), expansion of ${variables} will happen at the latest possible
time, long after += has been parsed (linearly top-down probably).

The "linearly top-down probably" bit is the part that I don't trust since in a complex project ordering can easily change. Even if the term "probably" is removed, I prefer to be more explicit.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn