Building automake1.9 with autoconf2.61

From: Kamaljit Singh
Subject: Building automake1.9 with autoconf2.61
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:00:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I was hoping to create a src tree which would build automake1.9 and autoconf2.61
and install them in a central place. Writing a configure.ac for this is quite
hard if
not impossible. The automake expects and depends on that the directory where
its untarred should be called automake-1.9, which makes writing the Makefile.am
dependent on the version and would some unrequired maintenance of
configure.ac/Makefile.am.

Moreover automake1.9 is dependent on autoconf2.58+ to be present in the path
that
I cant have them in the same sandbox at all !!! I need to install autoconf
first and then try configuring automake. That doesnt seem right.

Any suggestions, on whether/how this can be managed ?

kamaljit