Re: AM_LIBS / AM_LDADD

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: AM_LIBS / AM_LDADD
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 13:09:21 -0500

On 11/6/07, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Can you add to that also AM_DLLTOOLFLAGS?
>
> It's been mentioned before: Automake currently does not use dlltool.
> What would AM_DLLTOOLFLAGS be for then?  Support for it would be a null
> change.  Just put $(AM_DLLTOOLFLAGS) into your self-written rules that
> use dlltool, and there you have it: support for AM_DLLTOOLFLAGS!

The benefit of having it be part of Automake is that then I don't have
to specify it on each line.  The more stuff that is internal to
automake that I can use, the easier maintaining an automake file is.
For instance, I don't have to have a *_CFLAGS variable for every
target that is just equal to $(mycflags).  It's much easier to just
use the AM_CFLAGS variable provided, and it's a great feature of
Automake.  There is no such provision for dlltool, and doing it myself
is as cumbersome as doing *_CFLAGS manually.

Now, you state that Automake currently doesn't use dlltool.  I am
guessing you mean that dlltool support and usage is provided via
libtool, correct?  Should this request go to libtool, instead?  Would
the libtool project be able to add the global options variable?