Re: ${} and $()

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: ${} and $()
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:17:59 +0200

Hello Bob, Jan, all,

* Bob Proulx wrote on Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 10:09:28PM CEST:
> Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > is there any real difference between $(var) and ${var}, and is the
> > latter as much POSIX as the first?
>
> Is there any reason not to use $(var) and simply play it safe since
> that is the traditional Unix make behavior?  Then all worries about
> whether the builder's make will handle ${var} the same as $(var) are
> removed.  If it were me I would play it safe.

I don't know about any issues wrt. ${var}, so I don't see what you would
be guarding against.  OTOH, using ${var} makes it possible to share some
snippets in code intended for make, shell, perl.  Which is for example
one reason Autoconf defines installations directories such as bindir as
'${exec_prefix}/bin'.

Cheers,
Ralf