Re: $(DESTDIR) in install TARGET?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: $(DESTDIR) in install TARGET?
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 02:57:11 +0200

Hello Peter,

* Peter Volkov wrote on Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:09:01PM CEST:

> Seems that it is useful to update $(DESTDIR)$(INFODIR)/foo.info when
> foo.info was updated during `make install`. There is the example on the
> page http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-Targets.html
> which represents what I'm talking about:
>
> $(DESTDIR)$(INFODIR)/foo.info: foo.info
>       #some rules to install foo.info

Automake does not do it this way.  Instead, upon 'make install', all
files are installed, not just any that are out of date wrt. the current
installation.

Since installation is typically a rather rare event, and one at which
most files are changed, this is often a good approximation.  For files
for which you write install-/uninstall-local rules yourself, you could
do more fine-grained as above; but for info, typically the automake
rules are used through info_TEXINFOS.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf