directory prefix on .o

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: directory prefix on .o
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:00:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi again :)

in a different project, I have a number of files that have the same
filename, but live in different directories, for example

        project/module1/hooks.c
        project/module1/m1.c
        project/module2/hooks.c
        project/module2/m2.c
        etc.
        project/Makefile.am

I'd really like to avoid using make recursion (and all the reasons are
described in the automake info page nicely). The flat Makefile.am I have
come up so far is

        lib_LTLIBRARIES = module1.la module2.la
        module1_la_SOURCES = module1/hooks.c module1/m1.c
        module2_la_SOURCES = module2/hooks.c module2/m2.c
        etc.

Unfortunately, it does not seem like the directory is encoded into the
object file, hence automake will fail on me since it wants to use
hooks.o for both hooks.c files.

Is it currently possible to make the directory part of the object name,
e.g.  module1__hooks.o and module2__hooks.o for example? If not, I'm
going to cook up a patch (*), but I'd wanted to go sure such a feature is
not already available.

I also take suggestions on how to best encode the directory into the
filename. Above I used ${D}__${F}.o, but of course other schemes are
possible, for example ${D}-${F}.o, like with source files that get
compiled with different cflags (see other thread from today ;-)
In fact, ${P}-${F}.o for _*FLAGS-style targets is likely to clash with
${D}-${F}.o, so I would avoid it, and instead go for %__%.o for now.

thanks,
        Jan