Re: automake failing nearly all tests

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: automake failing nearly all tests
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:37:37 +0200

Hello Michael,

* Benoit SIGOURE wrote on Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 11:46:54PM CEST:
> On Jul 20, 2007, at 11:16 PM, Michael Muratet US-Huntsville wrote:
> >
> >I got an error during the building of an application that automake was
> >out of date. Fair enough. After building, digging, and rebuilding I
> >ultimately went the process:
> >
> >Build m4 v 1.4.10 and it passes all the checks
> >
> >Build autoconf  v2.6.1 and it passes all the checks
>
> If this was really autoconf 2.6.1 then get a recent version of
> autoconf :)
> But maybe you meant 2.61 in which case I don't know, sorry.
>

> >Build libtool v1.5.24 and it passes all the checks (although automake
> >putatively does not depend on libtool)
> >
> >Build automake v1.10, and all hell breaks loose.
[...]

> >+ aclocal-1.10 -Werror
> >configure.in:2: error: Autoconf version 2.60 or higher is required
> >/usr/local/automake-1.10/m4/init.m4:26: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded
> >from...
> >configure.in:2: the top level
> >autom4te-2.5x: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 63
> This autom4te-2.5x also looks weird to me.
> >aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 63

Is the autoconf 2.61 (that you have built and installed previously)
found early in $PATH, earlier than any other installed Autoconf version?
Also, are all programs of the Autoconf package found the same way, esp.
autom4te?

autom4te-2.5x looks like a wrapper script from some distribution that
also strives to still support 2.13.  Which distribution?  I think if
$PATH lists the new version first, your problems should vanish.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf