Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:58:41 +0200

Quoting "K. Richard Pixley" <address@hidden>:
Bob Proulx wrote:
If someone is trying to build from source control then they have
assumed the role of a developer.
No, I'm sorry, but that's not necessarily true.  A developer of foo is
not necessarily a developer of bar.  They may be capable of becoming
one, but that's not how most organizations prefer to allocate their
talent.

You are right and that's exactly why developers of foo should not attempt to use bar from {CVS,SVN,Perforce,...}. They should use a {pre-,}release tarball that has been produced by the developers of bar with, say, make distcheck.

If you are running into this sort of problem I think it is most likely due to your unconventional usage of versionned sources.

By the way, if you are stuck with a read only source tree, you can still cp -r it to $TMPDIR and then fix the timestamp as it has already been said. And then ask the developers of bar to provide you with a tarball :)

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory