Re: prog_DEPENDENCIES

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: prog_DEPENDENCIES
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:23:47 +0100

* Bob Rossi wrote on Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 04:48:35PM CET:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 04:40:03PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Bob Rossi wrote on Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 04:19:20PM CET:
> > >
> > > One other question. This is in regards to libraries depending on
> > > libraries. If library B depends on library A, do I have to put a
> > >   libB_a_DEPENDENCIES = $(top_builddir)/..../libA.a
> > > or does just having the SUBDIRS traverse in the correct order work?
> >
> > Erm, how can a static library depend upon another static library?
>
> Haha. That's what I thought. I'm not using libtool. I simply have some
> libraries that use other libraries.

What does "libraries that use other libraries" mean in the context of
static libraries?  Nothing.  Nothing in the creation of libB.a depends
upon the contents of libA.a.  It's only when you use some functions in
some program Prog from libB.a, then you may have to also add libA.a to
the link, because the libB functions use libA's functions.

> So the dependency information provided by the compiler will make sure
> that library B is rebuilt if library A is modified, right?

No.  There exists no dependency that `make' cares about between the
files libA.a and libB.a.  It's Prog that depends on both libA.a and
libB.a.

> In that case, I suppose I don't care about the _DEPENDENCIES line.

Right.

Cheers,
Ralf