Re: build and distribute Linux drivers as part of a GNU automake project

From: Vladimir Vassilev
Subject: Re: build and distribute Linux drivers as part of a GNU automake project
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 15:33:51 +0200

Hello Simon,

There are a few projects that do this; however none of them uses automake to build the makefiles for the kernel objects; rather, they have a Makefile.in that is not autogenerated, accepts the substitutions for the install paths etc. and calls the kernel Makefile with appropriate variables for a normal out-of-tree module build. Simon
Can you point me to similar open source projects. I am mostly curious what solution they chose for distributing the driver binaries after they have been built. In the case of userspace programs and libraries the autotools primitives (PROGRAMS, LTLIBRARIES) take care of all the rules (install uninstall dist distcheck etc.). Perhaps there could be some good ideas on how to distribute drivers.

Regards,
Vladimir