Re: Best means to override CXXFLAGS locally

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Best means to override CXXFLAGS locally
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:27:00 +0100

>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

 > Hello Akim,
 > * Akim Demaille wrote on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 01:10:02PM CEST:
 >> >What would be the cleanest means to handle this exception?
 >>
 >> Here is what I did:

 > I think it's much better to do the munging in configure.ac.  Store the
 > CFLAGS set by the user and/or AC_PROG_CC in AM_CFLAGS, and override
 > CFLAGS.  Depending upon whether the changed flags settings apply to only
 > a few, non-portability-problematic files in your project, the rest of
 > the configure tests should run with the flags set by the user, and you
 > should only override at the end, or the converse.

I agree this is cleaner, but it is also more dangerous: there are many
libraries and programs in there, including several with their own
flags (where I would have to also add C*FLAGS by hand).  So, although
I also considered that option, I chose the other because it is less
dangerous.  The circumlocutions are more local this way.