Automake with Python scripts

From: Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray
Subject: Automake with Python scripts
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 02:24:52 +0530

I am trying to package a Python script with the Autoconf/Automake
tools. The script (gnow) is in src sub-directory and depends on
another Python module (xmlrpcauthlib.py) in the same src
sub-directory. My intention is to set-up the package in such a way
that gnow gets installed in somewhere like /usr/local/bin, while
xmlrpcauthlib.py goes into /usr/local/lib/python2.4.

However I am unable to get src/xmlrpcauthlib.py into its desired
location. I would also like to prefer byte-compilation of the scripts.
Currently none of them are getting byte compiled.

configure.ac>>>>>

AC_INIT([Gnow],[0.7],address@hidden,[gnow-0.7])
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([./config])
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([./src/gnow])
AM_PATH_PYTHON([2.3.5],,)
AC_CHECK_PROG([found],[python],[yes],[no])
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall])
AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS([default], [[chmod 755 src/gnow]])
AC_OUTPUT([Makefile doc/Makefile src/Makefile])

Makefile.am>>>>

EXTRA_DIST = AUTHORS ChangeLog COPYING INSTALL NEWS README
SUBDIRS = doc src
MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = Makefile.in configure

src/Makefile.am>>>>

MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = Makefile.in
bin_SCRIPTS = gnow
pyexec_PYTHON = xmlrpclibauth.py

With this set-up 'make install' throws:
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `xmlrpclibauth.py', needed by
`install-pyexecPYTHON'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/devel/GNOWSYS/g7/gnow/src'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/devel/GNOWSYS/g7/gnow/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Using 'pyexecdir_PYTHON' in src/Makefile.am leads to an error while
invoking 'automake':
src/Makefile.am:4: `pyexecdir_PYTHON' is used but `pyexecdirdir' is undefined

Regards,
Debarshi

--