multiline variables and AC_SUBST

From: David Byron
Subject: multiline variables and AC_SUBST
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:10:25 -0700

Pretty sure this is both an automake and autoconf question, but somehow it
seems like the automake list is the place to start.

I just unwrapped a fresh copy of autoconf 2.60 to take advantage of
multiline variables in AC_SUBST.  I really only want the values to appear in
C code, not in Makefiles.  I think I'm running into some part of this
discussion:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2005-10/msg00026.html

What I think I want to do in configure.ac is:

FOO="/** a comment */
#define blah \"some value\""

AC_SUBST(FOO)

AC_CONFIG_FILES([my_header.h])

where my_header.h.in contains:

@FOO@

This part of it is working fine.  Unfortunately, my Makefile also contains:

FOO=/** a comment */
typedef int blah;

and make complains about a missing separator.

Is there some way to keep

FOO = @FOO@

out of Makefile.in?

Thanks much.