Re: dist-bzip2 with subdirs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dist-bzip2 with subdirs
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 18:42:50 +0200

Hi Paulo,

* Paulo J. Matos wrote on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 06:29:19PM CEST:
> I'm having a problem with dist-bzip2 since on my makefile I have :
> VPATH %.cc ./x ./xx ./xxx ...
>
> bin_PROGRAMS = foo
> foo_SOURCES = foo.cc bar.cc ...
>
> When dist-bzip2 tries to copy some files not direcly in ./src it fails
> miserably. Is there any solution for this? Or usually when using
> multiple dirs, one should not use VPATH but instead souces should be
> foo_SOURCES = ./x/foo.cc ./xx/bar.cc ...

Yes, write this:
  foo_SOURCES = x/foo.cc xx/bar.cc ..

It's very wise to not set VPATH yourself when using Automake.  Do you do
that only so you can save writing a few bytes of path names, or is there
some deeper trickery going on?  Automake otherwise makes use of VPATH
itself to allow you to have build trees separate from source trees.

Cheers,
Ralf