Turning Off Compiler Optimization in Subdir

From: Geoffrey Hutchison
Subject: Turning Off Compiler Optimization in Subdir
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:17:42 -0400

Hi,

OK, my automake-driven project has managed to find a C++ compiler bug due to optimization. Fortunately, the problem is only in a few files in a subdir.

What I'd like to ensure is that compiler optimization is *not* used by default for this subdirectory. But if I set AM_CXXFLAGS (e.g. to "- g -O0"), the default configure flags (-g -O2) override.

While I could set the default configure CXXFLAGS to just "-g -O0" and use AM_CXXFLAGS in every other Makefile.am to add optimization for those source files. But this seems like a hack (changing everything else to modify one subdir). Is there another way, preferably only modifying the Makefile.am in the affected subdir?

Thanks very much in advance!
-Geoff