Re: hello world demo with gtk condition

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: hello world demo with gtk condition
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:07:58 +0100

Hello,

sirry fot the delay.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:15:34AM -0600, Matt Hull wrote:
> 1) why are the object files named hello-main.o and hello-hello1.o instead
> of main.o and hello1.o ?

This happens because you defined specific flags for the program or library.
See http://sourceware.org/automake/automake.html#renamed-objects
for an explanation.

> 2) why does automake have a long shell script for compiling?  i dont think

You mean the script "compile", right?
(If you mean libtool, then I don't know, ask at the libtool list...)

> i recall seeing that before (on other packages i have installed on linux).
> i see there is an if gcc..... and then there is an extention on the file
> .Tpo, then its renamed.

I believe automake uses "if gcc" if configure detects it.  You should see
that Makefile.in contains both alternatives; configure then comments out
one of them.

> [...] it still fails with undefined reference to gtk2. [...]
> i updated the source at icarus.cc.uic.edu/~mhull1/mine-0.0.9.tar.gz

I don't have a capacity to answer this, sorry; perhaps someone else...

Or you could try to look at some Gnome projects, how they link against
gtk++.  Try to ask on #gtk++ at irc.gnome.org for an example project.
(They sometimes have a "bad style" in autotools, but they have it working.
You get the best blend by applyiing the hints you have got from Ralf.)

Hope this helps,
        Stepan Kasal