Re: distcheck and AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: distcheck and AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:25:02 +0000

Hi Ralf,

> Pardon my language ignorance: what do you mean by "tear-off package"?
> Could you post the code that exemplifies this?

NTP includes an SNTP implementation.

If you get an ntp tarball you also get the sntp subdir.

The configure.ac includes an AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(sntp).

It is possible for somebody to only build/distribute the sntp/ subtree,
and that is what I mean by a "tear-off package".

In this case, Bruce Korb is helping me to convert the code to use
AutoGen and AutoOpts.  This means I need to distribute libopts/ as part
of things.

I am hoping to have the tree look like:

 ntp/
 ntp/...
 ntp/sntp
 ntp/sntp/...
 ntp/sntp/libopts
 ntp/sntp/...
 ntp/...

and use the sntp/libopts code for both the sntp/ code as well as the
other executables in the ntp/* tree.

The tarball is at:

 ftp://ftp.eecis.udel.edu/pub/ntp/ntp4/testing/ntp-dev-ag.tar.gz

Please note that we are hacking on this code fairly often, but that
tarball should be a useful example.