Re: AM_CFLAGS not included in translation unit compilation

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AM_CFLAGS not included in translation unit compilation
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:38:16 +0100

Hi Mike,

* Mike Mattie wrote on Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 12:59:33AM CET:

> In a recent project I noticed that the individual compilation units do
> not include AM_CFLAGS in the invocation of the compiler, however
> when the program is constructed in the linking phase the AM_CFLAGS
> variable is used. Is there a rational for this ? I would like
> to place debugging (-g) in AM_CFLAGS and instead I am placing it in
> prog_CFLAGS.

Does reading this chapter of the documentation answer your question?
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Flag-Variables-Ordering

I point to the online version rather than the info document because I
believe Alexandre expanded this part not too long ago, and it's much
clearer now.

Cheers,
Ralf