autotools support for msvc (was: useful bug reports)

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: autotools support for msvc (was: useful bug reports)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:16:19 +0100

Hi Harald,

* Harald Dunkel wrote on Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 09:05:47AM CET:

> There might be yet another problem with supporting msvc: Bill's
> libraries are not built by 'ar cru', either. AFAIK they have
> to be built using link.exe, e.g.
>
>       link.exe /lib /OUT:libmylib.lib foo.obj bar.obj
>
> Please note the missing space between '/OUT:' and the library
> name.

Yes.

> The command line to build *.dll might be different.

Yes.

You may search the archives of the libtool-patches mailing list for the
dozens of mails Peter Ekberg has written to support all of this nicely,
including static and shared libraries, the libtool part of "-c -o"
support, C++ source file names, flags for link.exe, detection of link.exe,
optional use of dumplib.exe instead of nm, almost everything
except for the tidbits that need to be changed in Automake.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to final testing and applying all
of his patches.  I can't promise when I'll be able to do that, but I
certainly would like to see it applied; all I definitely want to avoid
is any regressions for other systems (non-MSVC w32, or non-w32).  Nobody
else has stepped in either to do it.  Free time is limited.

Cheers,
Ralf