Re: make distcheck creates directory that I don't have write permissions

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: make distcheck creates directory that I don't have write permissions for - is this expected?
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:52:01 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> The readonly setting during distcheck is supposed to be a feature:
> When you issue 'make distcheck', first the dist target is updated,
> i.e., a tarball is created, then that is unpacked, then the unpacked
> directory is made readonly, and a VPATH build (source tree != build
> tree) is performed.  The readonly source tree checks that your tarball
> is self-contained, ie. does not update or create anything below the
> source tree.
>
> In some situations, this might be too strict, but most of the time it
> can be achieved by fixing the distribution.  How does your specific
> problem look like?

OK, that's great. Thanks for explaining that.

My current problem is that I have some reference netCDF files, which
ship with the distribution. I also have a test program, which produces
data files that need to be identical to the reference files shipped
with the dist.

But the problem is the reference files are in the source directory,
and the test files are in the build directory.

At the moment, I am doing this with a one-line shell script, which
does something like this:

cmp nctest_classic.nc ref_nctest_classic.nc

What I need to do, apparently, is somehow construct this shell script
from the Makefile, using $(srcdir) somehow.

Or is there a way to use some make target for this? Any suggestions or
web examples would be helpful. I'm going to take another look at the
info files and around the web. There must be a better way to run this
cmp test without a whole extra shell script!

Thanks,

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden