Re: conditional subdirectories

From: Matthias Langer
Subject: Re: conditional subdirectories
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:14:18 +0200

Antonio Coralles wrote:

I'm currently working on a small library. I only want the contents of
the 'examples' directory to be build if configure has been run with
--enable-examples. Thus, according to the automake introduction
(http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Directories) my
configure.ac contains:

AC_ARG_ENABLE(examples,
[ --enable-examples Builds the examples ],
[ examples=true ])
AM_CONDITIONAL([EXAMPLES], test x$examples = xtrue)
AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile vtkmm/Makefile examples/Makefile])

My toplevel Makefile.am contains:

if EXAMPLES
MAYBE_EXAMPLES = examples
endif
SUBDIRS = $(GENERIC_LIBRARY_NAME) $(MAYBE_EXAMPLES)

At the first glance, this seems to work fine. But when i 'make dist',
the examples directory
is not included, allthough

'As you can't see, running make dist will recurse into both src/ and
opt/ directories because make dist, unlike make all, doesn't use the
|SUBDIRS| variable. It uses the |DIST_SUBDIRS|
variable.'-(http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Directories)

By the way, i'm using automake 1.9.6 and autoconf 2.59.

Maybe anyone here can give me a hint what i'm doing wrong ...

Thanks,
Matthias Langer

Well, the problem was, that i did not realize, that the variable DIST_SUBDIRS was manually defined - thus overiding the one generated automatically and correctly by automake ....