Re: non-recursive automake advice?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: non-recursive automake advice?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:29:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Tom Tromey wrote:

"tom" == tom fogal <address@hidden> writes:

tom> Basically I'd like each module to build their own libtool convenience
tom> library, and then have /src/Makefile.am link all of those modules'
tom> convenience libraries into one that is the union of all of them.

Do you really want each separate convenience library, or is that just
inertia?  I ask because if you don't want separate ones, the task
becomes even simpler.

This is a very good point. Convenience libraries are really an artifact of recursive builds. When using a non-recursive build, the rules to generate all targets is known at once and there is not much value associated with using convenience libraries. You can choose to put the built objects in the same relative directory as the sources, or they can be put somewhere else. Likewise, built libraries can be put wherever you want in the tree.

While the former version of GraphicsMagick uses a recursive build and convenience libraries, the use of convenience libraries was easily eliminated due to the switch to a non-recursive build.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn