Re: Hide issued compiler commands

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: Hide issued compiler commands
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:09:35 -0400 (EDT)

> I have started recently to switch some of the OSS projects I work on to
> automake. In one of this projects we used autoconf with our own hand
> made Makefile.in. This Makefile.in hided the issued compiler commands
> and instead printed something like "Compiling src/common/list.c.." or
> "Linking src/prog/prog1..." (kinda like samba is doing I think).
>
> How should I do this with automake based project ?

Hi,
        From GNUMake (indepedent of automake), you can declare .SILENT: to
prevent commands from being echoed.  You can also prefix individual shell
commands with @ to suppress echoing in the individual target scripts.
        If you're using libtool with automake, add to configure.ac:
LIBTOOL="$LIBTOOL --silent" to keep libtool quiet unconditionally.  That
should cover most things.  What remain are explicit echo commands.
        HTH.

David Fang