forcing ranlib in libtool project

From: tom fogal
Subject: forcing ranlib in libtool project
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:43:15 -0400

Hi, I'm trying to autoconfiscate a piece of software that consists of
both an executable and a few shared libraries. At runtime, the
executable is intended to dlsym() from the libraries, but I don't think
thats important.

I'm using libtool to build the shared libraries. I'm also using plain
old static libraries (not via libtool) to build a bunch of convenience
libraries that I want to use in linking the executable.

The problem is that, even though the executable does not depend on /
need any libtool libraries, the makefiles are still trying to use
libtool to link them. Normally this is not much of a problem, but there
just so happens to be a bug in libtool where circular dependencies are
not repeated correctly, and thus I cannot get the application to link.

Is there any way I can use automake to workaround this limitation?
Should I just cave and link everything from the object files?

Thanks,

-tom