Re: I: adjust test suite for upcoming GNU Make 3.83

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: I: adjust test suite for upcoming GNU Make 3.83
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:40:47 +0200

>>> "pds" == Paul D Smith <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 adl> So any solution that require a syntax that is different in
 adl> prerequisites than it is in the commands seems wrong to me.

 pds> I definitely agree that this incongruity is disturbing, but that's the
 pds> way it is.

Don't read me wrong, that wasn't a judgement of the way things
are but an attempt to characterize an acceptable solution for
Automake.  Automake is meant to produce portable Makefiles so I
don't want to introduce non-portable constructs in its generated
output, even conditionally (it's already hard enough to test).
The only place we could tolerate non-portable constructs is in
the user input (*.am) that is output almost verbatim.  Hence my
statement: since users writes the variables, I'm looking for a
solution that involves only changing these variables, and since these
variables are used both in prerequisite lists and commands...

 pds> Hopefully the next version of GNU make will have some more generic
 pds> mechanism for quoting that will handle ALL different "special
 pds> characters" that might appear in filenames, including colons and
 pds> whitespace as well as dollar signs.

Excellent!  That seems to be the ticket, doesn't it?
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz