Re: ideas for speeding up compile mode

From: Scott Kruger
Subject: Re: ideas for speeding up compile mode
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:20:26 -0600

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 07:44:40AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius did write:
> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 17:06 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > [ CC to automake because it is involved -- see below ]
>
> > 3) Fold compile mode completely into Automake snippets/the resulting
> > Makefile.  I wonder why this has not been done before, at least for the
> > default rules (per-target rules could lead to a large blowup of the
> > resulting Makefile.in).
> Such kind of proposal had popped up several before.
>
> IIRC, the argument had been that the libtool folks had wanted to "keep
> libtool outside of automake" because libtool is/had been supposed to be
> a tool independent of the make infrastructure being used (automake is
> just one of them).

As someone who is just getting started in the whole GNU autotools world,
I think "keeping libtool outside of automake" is one of the things that
make it difficult to learn GNU autotools.  I like Ralf Wildenhues's
option #3 very much.

Scott

--
Scott Kruger