Re: creating C++ libs contitionally

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: creating C++ libs contitionally
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:44:00 +0100

Hi Mattias,

* Mattias Barthel wrote on Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:50:10PM CET:

> I am passing my Makefile.am's from 1.4 to 1.6.

You should try to use a *recent* Automake.  Like 1.9.x.

> Doing this I have encountered numerous incompatibility problems.

Oh well.

> First when starting with 1.4, a part of the problem I bumped in to was
> that libtool did not really understand .dll as an extension of a lib,
> me having to make the Makefiles compatible with Windows.

Libtool libraries are supposed to end in `.la'.  The created .la files
will be text files containing the real name of the library file(s).
Which then may end in .dll, for example.

BTW, which Libtool version do you use (try to use a recent one as well).

> The libs for Windows could also not be dependent of cygwin even tough
> the compiling environment was cygwin.

I don't understand this sentence.

> Also, beeing C++ code libraries I could not use the
> AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL macro in configure.in because
> it seems to be dependent of that the lib is
> writtien in C.

I don't understand this sentence.

> Finally I succeded to create a Makefile.am that "worked"
> in both environments except for a small warning from automake.
> "automake: perl/Makefile.am: `vhcore.dll' is not a standard libtool
> library name"
> But that was'nt really critical.

Well, correct the things mentioned and then we'll see about any
remaining errors.

Regards,
Ralf