Automake and new tar

From: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
Subject: Automake and new tar
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:59:26 +0100

Hi Automake hackers,

I am maintainer of a GNOME  module called gnome-themes-extras containing
a set of metathemes for the GNOME desktop. After upgrading my distro I
have been unable to 'make dist' gnome-themes-extras on Fedora due to tar
complaining:
tar: gnome-themes-extras-0.8.0/Gorilla/icons/scalable/mimetypes/gnome-
mime-application-vnd.sun.xml.impress.svg: file name is too long (max
99); not dumped

I was told today that the problem is that the new tar actually follows
the spec for the method that automake wants to use. So automake needs to
be fixed to not use the -o option to tar.

Is this a known problem, is there some bugzilla somewhere I can

Sincerely,
Christian